These Are a Few of My Favorite Things: #34 (Right Here, Right Now: A Short Film by Anand Gandhi)
Pondering over the imponderables like the meaning of life, Karma, etc is one of my favorite things. As is the nature of such enquiry I get no definite answers but these exercises help me shape my personal ethics n value system.
Karma is the basic law of cause & effect: As we sow, so we reap. Intuitively we all know that Karma seems to be a basic law operating all our actions but at times I wonder, is it so really? n if it indeed does, then how exactly? The thing about karma is that it is sometimes hard to discern it’s effect because Karma weaves a complicated Web. It’s not a simple case like we get wet in the rain n we catch flu the next day.
Right here, Right Now, a short film by Anand Gandhi (Who is currently making huge waves with his Magnum Opus, ‘The Ship of Theseus’) explores this complex web of Karma rather brilliantly. A good story can convey obscure ideas more powerfully than anything else. An ounce of story is worth tons of theory.
A young man in his haste to go some place takes two actions – he screams at his mother for making him late, and he lovingly appreciates his brother’s painting. By doing so, he strikes off two cycles – one of frustration and sorrow and the other of love and joy. His mother vents out her anger on her maidservant. His brother gifts the painting to his girl friend. Thus begins the cycles of sorrow and joy, forming a Domino stairway, leading to an unknown doorway. After shaking hands with 15 other characters and traveling through 17 locations, in just two shots, both the cycles meet at the end in an attempt to give a logical understanding to the seemingly absurd human life. It’s a humorous look at the bizarreness of the cosmic accident, otherwise known as life.
- Ship of Theseus (The Film): A Philosophical Exploration (ritusthoughtcatcher.wordpress.com)
- Review of 2013 Film ‘The Ship of Theseus’, a ‘Hinglish’ Film Directed by Anand Gandhi; Starring Aida Al-Khashef Neeraj Kabi and Sohum Shah (sashankkini.wordpress.com)
- Ship of Theseus: The Most Original Indian Indie Film (madaboutmoviez.com)
- ‘Ship Of Theseus’ simplifies the complex ideas: Anand Gandhi (ibnlive.in.com)
- Ship of Theseus: This one is too Special (cinemaunchained.wordpress.com)
- Karma – Cause and effect (chaitanyaiimc.wordpress.com)
- Ship Of Theseus (bumblebee31.wordpress.com)
- Is the Ship a Trojan horse? (thehindu.com)
Leave a Comment
Be the first to comment!