The The Bucket List: Must Watch Movies #3
This is the 1st movie that I watched twice in a single day & I must say I never got bored a single moment even the second time…which speaks volumes about how interesting n entertainig the movie is (& this the movie achieves without any bikini clad women, item numbers…heck this movie doesn’t even have a heroine). What it does have is Jack Nicholson & Morgan Freeman with their charismatically natural acting prowess.
This is the story about two (as different as chalk n cheese) guys Edward Cole (Jack Nicholson) & Carter Chamber (Morgan Freeman) who discover they’ve about 6 months or so to live. They find themselves in the same hospital room. While Edward is a multi billionaire, eccentric, 4 time divorced playboy; Carter is a car mechanic, level headed, married family man. Nevertheless a great friendship develops between the two & together they embark on a adventure filled journey to fulfill their ‘Bucket List’ (A list of things to do before they ‘kick the bucket’). With Edward’s wealth nothing is beyond their reach. They do things like skydiving, sports car racing, visiting the seven wonders…other things on their list are: to kiss the most beautiful girl in the world, help a complete stranger, view something magnificent, to laugh until you cry (Interesting, huh?)
Their motto becomes : You are busy living or you are busy dying.
This movie is about finding your joy, living each day to the fullest…weather or not you are dying.
The film has a natural performance by the leading pair (Nicholson n Freeman). Their chemistry creates a very heartbreaking yet hilarious cinematic delight. In short a must watch again n again n yet again.
~Get busy living or get busy dying.
~Carter (to Edward): “You know, the ancient Egyptians had a beautiful belief about death. When their souls got to the entrance to heaven, the guards asked two questions. Their answers determined whether they were able to enter or not. ‘Have you found joy in your life?’ ‘Has your life brought joy to others?’”
~Carter (Thinking) : There was a survey once. A thousand people were asked if they could know in advance, would they want want to know the exact day of their death. 96% of them said ‘No’. I always kind of leaned to the other 4%. I thought it would be liberating knowing how much time you had left to work with. It turns out it’s not.
~ Edward (to Carter): The way I see it we can lay around here hoping for a miracle of some bullshit science experiment. or we can put some moves on!
More Movie Reviews on my blog: